Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Scalloped Potatoes and Nordic Creamery Ham
From: Sarah - Nordic Creamery
This recipe is one of our family’s favorites. It features our handcrafted Butter and our home grown buttermilk fed pork.
- 6 tablespoons Nordic Creamery Butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 6 medium peeled or unpeeled potatoes, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked Nordic Creamery Ham
- 2 tablespoon Nordic Creamery Butter
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Mix potatoes and ham in casserole; gently press down so surface is even. Pour sauce over potato mixture. Cut 2 tablespoon butter into small pieces; sprinkle over potatoes.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving (sauce thickens as it stands).
- I often double this recipe in a deep jelly roll size pan.
Recipe from Sarah Bekkum.